Sunday, August 18, 2013

a blog goodbye

I know I have been a terrible blogger as of late. I think it means it is time to move on from this space.

But a quick update, before I go. Last we met, I was thinking of going to the far away clinic to give it one more fresh cycle try. Well, that didn't happen. After reviewing the cost, even with our amazing full-coverage insurance, it would have been 15-20k out of pocket. Ouch, right? I just could not justify spending that kind of cash on my 40 year old questionable eggs. So I did a consult with a local clinic, at a place where 100% of the treatment/monitoring/etc was covered by my insurance. Meds too. I'd only have to pay copays, resulting in a few $100 spent out of pocket. Quite the contrast from the tens of thousands possibly spent at the far away clinic. I brought my protocol from the far away clinic with me, and asked if I could cycle with them doing the far away protocol. The same protocol that resulted in the Critter. They said yes.

So I did a fresh cycle this month. I seemed to stim pretty well, a few eggs shy of the Critter cycle, but still respectable. About 10-13 follies seen, all growing on pace with each other. Then my estrogen leveled off at like 1200, with several more days of stims to go. The nurse says Cetro.tide can do that, but I knew something was up. Retrieval day comes, and my suspicions are right on target.

Of all those follicles seen, at least half were empty and only 6 eggs retireved. Of those, 4 were mature. And NONE fertilized normally. Zip, zero, nada. We didn't even make it to Day 1. How's that for a sign that my eggs are now total crap?

Honestly, if I could not have the outcome of a live healthy baby, then this outcome was my next choice. I wanted a clear answer, a clear direction, and eggs that turn to mush is about as clear as it gets. Much better than iffy betas, or even worse, miscarriage. No "what ifs" here. Which is kind of a relief.

And with that, our family is complete. My fertility journey is over. Its been quite the ride. A ride that resulted in the Critter, so I wouldn't trade it for anything (well, maybe trade it for sex = baby). But I am ready to be done now, ready to have caffeine and drink wine and sit in hot tubs and live my life without fear of hurting my fertility.

And so, I think it is time to shut down this space too. Clearly, I've been terrible about posting, as my mind is elsewhere these days. Like on getting the Critter ready for preschool at Montessori in less than 2 weeks!! And losing some of this weight I've gained over all these stims cycles. I still keep up with some of my close bloggy friends, and I'm sure that will continue, even if I'm not great about commenting. And if anyone knows of a way to get a blog printed out (and bound like a book? does someone on the internet do that?), please let me know. I want to keep this record of the journey forever, perhaps to share with the Critter when she's older.

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, to all of you that have shared this crazy journey with me. There is no way I would be here without all the support and love. Best wishes.

Peace out.

9 comments:

  1. I will miss your updates, regardless of the frequency! Yay for preschool! And I'm glad you've got an answer that satisfies you--Enjoy yourself & your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh pie, I understand why you are saying goodbye, but oh you will be missed. i'm sorry the recent cycle didn't work out, but really glad you seem to feel at peace with it. will be wishing you and the critter and your husband all the best in the days and years to come. it's been lovely being in the blogosphere with you.

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been a long time follower but not sure if I ever commented. Good Luck to you and thank you for sharing your journey. I am glad you had that final cycle to bring you closure to the crazy infertility ride. I do know there are sites that print out your blog but I can't remember what they are called. Hopefully someone else will post for you. Good Luck, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you well as your enjoy your Critter girl and see what a wonderful person she is going to become. I am also grateful for you to have a final answer (and perk, not at an exorbitant cost!). Thanks for sharing the last few years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank so much for the follow-up report and goodbye. Yours has been an amazing journey, and I cannot thank you enough for sharing it all. You have been a really important inspiration for me, especially during the really hard IF journey o my own. I will always remember you fondly. Thank you.
    Check out blog2print... I haven't done it yet, but someone had recommended that to me a while back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Pie...I will miss you! I know you kept private but email me if you want to link up on instagram or FB. Im glad you have closure (not how I hoped but...)

    Cheers to you my friend!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. You'll be missed. I think you were one of my very first blog friends. I wish the very best to you and your precious family! And good luck with preschool ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will miss reading your blog :( I had my first and only daughter shortly before you had Critter (12/6/10). My 40 year old eggs resulted in us having to do IVF as well..one cycle, bad response, 5 eggs retrieved with only three fertilizing and one miracle - our precious "Super Doodle". Like you, we went back and forth on whether or not to have another...but I just couldn't do it again and the hubby wasn't really on board either. His thought - we got so so so lucky the first time, why rock the boat?
    I wish you a happy, happy life with Critter. I will miss reading about you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the update--I'm so sorry it wasn't happier news.
    If you're ever open to other, non-biological ways of building a family I've always got an ear for questions :)
    Wishing you continued happiness with your little girl! (and yay for Montessori--we love it!)

    ReplyDelete