38 weeks, 4 days.
We had our last OB appointment of this pregnancy yesterday. The last time we'll do the doppler, the last time my huge belly is measured, the last time my BP is taken twice. Wow. It is hard to believe.
Everything is pointing to the scheduled c-section on Monday. No change in my cervix, and the critter is still breech. But her butt is not very engaged in my pelvis, so it is unlikely she will put me into labor between now and Monday. Never say never, but how about highly unlikely? Oh, and the OB said the critter is as big as a moose. Heehee, she is a honking-big child already. Easily over 8 lbs. Mr. P and I have an over-under bet on her birth weight, at 8 1/2 lbs. I have the under, but I'm not so sure now. We'll see Monday!
We talked with my OB about the c-section, what to expect, where to go, how it will all go down. My favorite OB, who we met with yesterday, will also be doing the section, which is nice. I still really like her, and trust her completely. It was good to hear the details, and understand better what will happen.
But I have to admit, I'm starting to get nervous about the surgery. I've woken up the last 2 nights and been up with racing thoughts. Stress thoughts.
I'm nervous about the surgery, but also nervous about the recovery. I'm scared I'll be in so much pain that I'll be unable to care for the critter. I'm scared I won't be able to mother her from the get-go, and that makes me sad. I'm scared people won't understand how I'm feeling and won't help me as much as I may need.
Sigh, I'm just plain scared.
Now, I know many women have c-sections every day, and most women do just fine. And even those that have trouble are still good moms. I know this in my head, I know these things. But my heart, in my feelings, well, they are slow to catch on. They are hiding in the corner.
It's almost worse to know what's coming, it allows me to wallow in the "what ifs" too much. I just hope it all goes ok. Hope, hope, hope.
Making Bets
1 week ago
I don't know if I've mentioned this in your comments before, but I had a c-section after 24 hours of labor & almost no progress. NOT what I wanted, for any number of reasons, and I was exhausted & in pain to boot.
ReplyDeleteHowever. Recovery from the c-section wasn't a big deal after the first 24 hours - and I think if I'd fully understood that it was the pain med making me feel crappy (and gassy like I've NEVER been before) I'd've done even better.
Big tip? Get up and walk the first day. Walk in little circles in your hospital room where you can grab onto things. Walk as long as you can - like an hour, if possible. I resisted it until the night of my first day post c-section, and never had a problem again. Went home to our triple-level house & had no trouble with stairs, etc.
I'm not saying you won't need to rest, but recovery from a c-section doesn't HAVE to be awful - I know, because I was fully expecting it to be debilitating, and it just wasn't. That said, I was terrified of the surgery, and SO get what you're feeling. hang tough - reward really IS worth it, and if you're like me, oh LORD, it's going to feel so good to NOT be pregnant anymore!
Seriously. Thinking of you, and looking forward to meeting the critter on your blog one of these days!
You are going to do just great! I know I would be scared too, but with everything else that you have been through, this is going to be just fine. And at the end of the day you are going to meet your gorgeous little girl! I'm so excited for you!!
ReplyDeleteYay for Critter's presumably chunky cheeks. : ) I understand your anxiety about the c/s, but I'm sure it will go fine. That's why drugs are available. In my experience with my laparotomy (which was a vertical incision as opposed to the normal horizontal incision), I was in bed and not feeling great for one day. On the second day, my nurse helped me get up and walk (hunched over like an old lady) up and down the hallway. The sooner you force yourself to get up, the faster the healing process will begin. My stomach muscles were sore for a few weeks afterwards, but I could still take care of myself, sit up, etc. I returned to work three weeks after surgery and was feeling great by then, even attending a Billy Joel concert a few nights earlier. You will be okay! Thinking of you and critter and your DH.
ReplyDeleteYou are right, it's probably just because you KNOW what's coming that it seems more scary than it will end up being. Plus, it gives you something to focus your fears on rather than the more nebulous ones of "I'm going to have a baby." I don't blame you for being a bit freaked.
ReplyDeleteMy sister said she recovered really quickly and felt fine. The hardest part for her was that she wasn't allowed to drive for 2 weeks or so after, although she felt fine enough to do so. The bonus of a c-section? Critter is going to have a beautiful head from day one... my sister's son was (and still is) gorgeous! not one of those squished and bruised babies.
You'll totally be a wonderful mom from day one. You can feel scared, but take some comfort in that the rest of us have complete confidence it will all be good and wonderful!
I am going to hope with you that everything goes well with the surgery. Sorry I dont have any tips on the recovery part of it. But I am excited for you. You big dream is going to come true!! YAY!
ReplyDeleteEverything is going to go great! There is so much to be afraid of with becoming a new Mom, and I am sure a c-section just adds to the stress. You can do this and there will be family and your husband around to help until you're back to 100%.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait for you to meet the critter!
I completely understand the scariness -- you've been pregnant for 38 weeks and know how to do that, but being a mother? That's a whole new role to fill and to get comfortable with. I think everyone is scared (I am!) but I am sure you will do great.
ReplyDeleteFwiw, many of my IRL friends have had c-sections and most say that recovery was no big deal at all, and that they would choose that option.
Thinking of you, Pie. I have no words of advice. Know that we are all here cheering you on! Can't wait for you to meet the critter!
ReplyDeleteI am so excited for you!
ReplyDeleteHey Pie... I have had 2 c sections.. the first a low transverse horizontal cut... the second was a navel to cooch vertical cut, because I was delivering twins and the Dr felt this was the safest route... anyway... the first day or so is the worst... gas, and not necessarily the noise making kind... but trapped AIR... it took its sweet time getting from below chest level to my shoulder area before dissipating.. and would have done it sooner had I gotten up and moved sooner. Incisions will be S-O-R-E... tender... but the worst of that was gone in about 3 days... words of advice: Keep a small, firm pillow or a very tightly folded blanket handy... this will help SOOOO much when you have to (need) to cough, etc... You can press it tightly against the incision, and coughing won't feel like someone is ripping yer innards out by the roots. Oh, yeah.... this may sound kinda strange, but try to avoid watching anything on TV that is really funny.... I did this, and thought I was LITERALLY going to bust a gut from laughing.... then the funny scene kept running thru my head.... not good !!! Lol. Best of wishes to you all. You're going to be F-I-N-E !!
ReplyDeleteWow, I can't believe she will be here Monday! I'm sure the anticipation of what's to come is what is fueling your fear. You will do fine and everything will go fine. You will be able to hold your baby on Monday...how cool is that? And if things are painful and you have a few bumps in the road, don't worry about it. It's perfectly normal. I've read enough blogs to know that sometimes things don't go as planned and that stressing yourself out about it doesn't help anything. You will get through this as a family (isn't that great?!) and you will figure out what works for you guys. I just can't believe that she'll be here next week...yay!
ReplyDeleteBest Wishes to you Pie! I had a scheduled c-section for this past Tuesday and my water ended up breaking on Christmas Eve! Our little boy didn't know about the schedule :) I ended up having a c-section anyway due to a medication I was on. I know everyone is different and I am just one person, but to add my two cents, the recover has not been nearly as bad as I imagined it to be. It's good that they get you up and moving in the hospital, and you have people to lean on while there because it does make the transition home better. Once home, it does help to start slow and add things to do/accomplish as the days go by. And it's such a plus that you have a supportive and helpful husband!
ReplyDeleteAgain, best wishes to you! I'll be tuning in to see how things go.