Friday, May 25, 2012

Reading

In my ongoing effort to recreate all aspects of my life leading up to the FET of the Critter 2-ish years ago, I have begun reading again. I used to be an avid reader, Before The Critter (BTC). I never went anywhere without my Kind.le and could easily go through a book in a week. Easy.

But since the Critter's been here, I have not touched my Kind.le once. No, that's not true. I did search high and low for it, found it, dusted it off and recharged it when I took that trip to visit a friend in CA in November. Not that I used it once on that trip, or since, but I did touch it a few times back then.

So again, last week I searched high and low, found it, dusted it off (geez, is my house dusty!) and recharged it. And this time, I read something!!

When the Critter was born, I had just started reading Mel's book "Life From Scratch" which I think had recently come out back then. I got about 25 pages in, and boom! Critter arrives.

I think at the time I thought I'd get back to it in an a month or two. Ha. So, here we are...16 months later. I am finally feeling ready to read again. I have the focus, the attention span, the brain power to put towards things other than caring for the Critter and running our house. And superstitious me wants to be sure to read like I was doing BTC.

I have to say, it feels good. Great, even.

I plowed through her whole book in a few days, and what a treat! A perfect first book back, not too heavy, chick-lit sort of thing, and with cooking to boot. Read it, if you haven't yet.

I'm ready to start book two - and thought I'd ask all you literate interwebbies what you've read and liked lately. And by lately I mean in the last 16 months or so. I might be ready for something more substantial this time around, but am open to all suggestions. A good book is a good book, after all. Leave me a comment, let me know what you've been reading.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the book recommendation. And happy reading! I'm reading "Blue Like Jazz" right now. Just got made into a movie. Before that, John Grisham's "The Litigators" which wasn't all that great. I think before that it was a few parenting books. Hope you find something great. If you haven't read "Hotel on the Corner Between Bitter and Sweet," I recommend it. And, of course, "The Help," but that's on most everyone's list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea what you might like but I will suggest a kindle blog. It's called "Free Kindle Books Plus a few tips" and it is amazing for free books. He also has a blog for books under $1 though I don't know the name off the top of my head. I've found some great authors this way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I have a suggestion, but it is a bit heavy. It has become one of my absolute favorite books of all time, I think, but it might have something to do with now being a mommy to a little boy. Anyway, it is "Room", by Emma Donoghue. It is definitely intense, but I absolutely could not put it down, and when it was finished, I started it again.
    You are inspiring me to dust off my Kind.le as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally startled reading your post. Thank you! For reading it, but also for liking it :-)

    Really love Jon Ronson books. They make you think without taxing the brain. Same with Malcolm Gladwell. I read a lot of chicklit if you're wanting something more up that alley.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been reading a ton of ultra running books lately so fairly esoteric...but I also read "The Center Cannot Hold" which was fascinating. I love memoirs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pie, reading is my obsession. Here are a few books I think you might want to read: Bossypants by Tina Fey, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy (if you haven't read it--you must), Room by Emma Donaghue, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me by Mindy Kaling, Then Came You by Jennifer Weiner, She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb, the Steve Jobs autobiography. Wow. That's a lot.

    ReplyDelete